Apr 24, 2009

Wandering Musée d'Orsay: Degas's Dancers

It's been a fairly uneventful week for photos so I've decided to go back to Paris. Musée d'Orsay is one of those places where non art-historians can walk around and recognize many paintings and sculptures from popular culture. Today I'm starting my series on art that caught my eye while wandering around Musée d'Orsay. I can only hope you enjoy my taste too. 

Degas was known as a racist old curmudgeon and dedicated misanthrope but I didn't let his personality stand in the way of appreciating the masterful way he captured human movement. His art is fluid, beautiful and inspiring.
His controversial Little Dancer of Fourteen Years .
A few of the more than 150 sculptural works found in his studio after his death in 1917.
I was captivated by the movement in this oil painting called Ballet Rehearsal on Stage.

photos by me. art by Degas.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails