Apr 8, 2009

Sacre Coeur, the White Basilica on a Paris Hilltop

Of course no visit to Montmartre is complete without a peek at the white basilica on the hilltop, Sacre Coeur.  Above is a view of the basilica from Musee d'Orsay.

Below is the traditional postcard view of the basilica, lawn and stairs.
Here's a view from behind taken at near twilight.
and here I am with an umbrella, safe from the Paris drizzle.
His beautiful haunting double bass echoed off the wall leading towards Sacre Coeur...
There are fantastic views of the Paris skyline from the summit of the butte Montmartre, the highest point in the city, where the"Basilica of the Sacred Heart" is located. Here, for example, is the Eiffel Tower.

All photos were taken by me with the exception of me with the umbrella, which was taken by my brother.

A relative newcomer to the historic landmarks of Paris, Sacre Coeur was designed in a Romano-Byzantine style with French nationalistic symbolic elements by architect, Paul Abadie, and was completed in 1914.

2 comments:

Te said...

Gorgeous photos, I especially love the last one. Did you get accosted by bracelet making africans at the bottom of the steps?

Shehani said...

you know it! I'm now a proud owner of a white, baby blue and black bracelet.. pushy buggers! but I also got a sprig of rosemary and a palm reading from a gypsy grandma type in Granada.. I figure the experience and being able to tell first-hand stories is worth a euro or two.. at least that's what i tell myself.. sounds better than sucker :p

Related Posts with Thumbnails