May 8, 2009

Kitschy Dollies in the Window

Tata Ekeko: The Bolivian God of Abundance. There are several charming folk stories about the legend of Ekeko.

A green Indian chief.

Many Marys

Reina Maria Lionza (or Yara, the Venezuelan queen of love), Cacique Guaicaipuro (an Indian Venezuelan chief who formed a power coalition against the Spanish) and Negro Felipe. These three form the “Tres Potencias” (three powers) in Venezuela's heavenly court.

I suppose devotees of these icons may be vexed by my calling these potent folk religious symbols, charming kitsch eye candy.. but I mean no disrespect. Honestly. I am a student of how the power of myths enrich our lives. I believe that metaphors often reveal more truth and subtlety of meaning than the straight facts can. And this is the muse of art.

All these photos were taken by me while I was wandering around the trendy barrio Malasaña. A haven for university hipsters and party-goers, this barrio is choked full of the 3 Bs: bars, boutiques, and botellóns. However, Malasaña is not just a spot for boozy nights, it's also home to stylish murals and cool storefronts, some of which I photographed and will share with you tomorrow.

In the meantime, I wish you all a happy Friday!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails