Nov 25, 2009

Photo Essay: Barcelona and Gaudí

Barcelona is a beautiful harbor city with pretty beaches, Gaudí architecture, a rambling ramblas, and ubiquitous scooters. Since this is a very bicycle friendly city, we rented bikes for a couple of days and rode around. In my opinion, it's the best way to see this city.

Some highlights:
Me riding a rented bike on the beach. Photo by Mark Yuill.

Some beach art:

To the market, to the market, to the Boqueria market on the Ramblas. One of the best markets I've ever been to.


No visit to Barcelona is complete without a brief tour of some of Antoni Gaudí's (1852–1926) works.

First up, the Sagrada Familia, which is under perpetual construction.
Next, situated on the hill of el Carmel in the Gràcia district is Park Güell, a whimsical garden with fantastical architecture.




And finally, located at 92, Passeig de Gràcia is Casa Milà, which better known as La Pedrera (Catalan for 'The Quarry'). On the rooftop, wonderful biomorphic sculptures seem to undulate up towards the sky. I've never seen anything like it - it is amazing! Also the lobby downstairs has an interesting museum and showcase for Anton Gaudí's works. Trust me, this site is well worth the long queue to get in.


All photos by me except the one of me riding the bike.

Disclosure: Since I am currently financially skint, this is a photo essay of a trip I took a couple years ago. I'm going to begin a whole series of photo essays based on past trips. If I can't physically travel right now, I may as well revisit the places I've been (in spirit) and share what I saw with you, my dear readers.

Next post will also be from Barcelona but from a less touristy place - the hauntingly beautiful city of the dead on Montjuïc.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails