Apr 1, 2010

I Spy: van art and murals behind fences

Van Art
Van Art
Van Art
Wandering around my barrio, Lavapies, I often see art in unexpected places. I saw this van by Chylo on the way home from work. I think he's the same guy who painted the mural on Olivar 48, which I made into a comic mashup you can see here. The style is very similiar.

Speaking of the wall on Olivar 48, well, it's no longer there - a reminder of the ephemeral nature of street art. In its place is corrugated metal fencing. I peeped through a small hole in the fence and discovered this mural:
peeping through holes at murals behind fences on Olivar 48
peeping through holes at murals behind fences on Olivar 48
peeping through holes at murals behind fences on Olivar 48
The dome in the photo is a part of an initiative linked to the eviction of the last Laboratory (Labo04 in Ministriles). The wall was torn down because there will be a nursery school built in this space. The Solar Dome was recently relocated to Doctor Fourquet (behind the wall of murals from which I created a comic mashup you can see here) with a procession and a party. You can read about it here.

While I was taking photos through the tiny holes in the fence, an older Spanish man watched me with curiosity as he was walking along the street towards me. I inspired him to peep through one of the holes but because he was quick about it, he didn't see what I saw and so shrugged his shoulders and kept on walking. Sometimes seeing takes a little patience.

Stumbling upon art and beauty is one of my joys in life so I'm always on the look out, I'm always on the watch.

When was the last time you wandered your neighbourhood in search of art and beauty?

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails