Feb 20, 2011

A quick browse around Chinatown

Bamboo Village Folk Art and Craft is a both a tourist trap and a treasure trove of curiosities. If you're looking for just the right piece of oriental antique furniture, army helmet or Chinese Propaganda poster, then you've arrived at the correct place.
Propaganda poster I
Propaganda poster II
It's Mao O'clock
Joss sticks

Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden is a serene little oasis in the heart of Chinatown. We only toured the free bit, which is very pretty, because I couldn't justify the $12 entrance fee. I'll have a look at the other side when there's an event and report back.
Pagoda and Dome
Festoon of red lanterns
Bicycles & red umbrellas

While Vancouver's Chinatown remains the largest in Canada, it is now overshadowed by Richmond's Golden Village for all things authentic, delicious and Chinese. Although Chinatown is a popular tourist attraction, as it is one of the oldest Chinatowns in North America, it is also where many lower income Chinese residents live as opposed to the more affluent Chinese who have built many Asian-theme malls in Richmond to service their needs. I'm told by the connoisseurs that the finest Chinese food is not to be found in Chinatown, but in Richmond. I can't attest to the veracity of those claims but I can tell you that I had a very disappointing curry bun from a Chinatown bakery.

If anyone can help this girl satisfy her childhood craving for delicious curry buns, please drop me a line!

All Photography by Shehani Kay

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails