Sep 24, 2008

Keeping the horribles at bay: an interview with Honeybottom pt 4

Today's post is the final installment in a 4 part series on depression, Keeping the horribles at bay: an interview with Honeybottom.

In Keeping the horribles at bay: an interview with Honeybottom pt 1, Professor Honeybottom, a Chartered Herbalist and a former Registered Nurse, explained the difference between depression and sadness. In part 2, she talked about how changes in diet, exercise and sleeping habits can help to relieve depression. In part 3, she recommended lifestyle changes and self help strategies.

In today's post, Honeybottom tells us how she beats the blues in her own daily life.

Nature is my true tonic. I remember the first time I realized this was when I was going through a small personal hell and felt so incredibly sad that I almost couldn't move. I forced myself to go and lie down outside, where I just laid there quietly sobbing into my blanket. I realized an ant was on my arm...the next thing I knew was that 1or 2 minutes had actually passed and I hadn't been consumed with my grief. 1or 2 minutes! That was huge; that little ant placed me in the now...there was no room for my overwhelming sadness. Nature had used up the room.

I gladly walk, bike or lie outside everyday. If I feel myself just stumbling through a day I'll pick one thing that I must pay attention to... noses, ears, hands; everyone that I come in contact with I'll note. These silly little exercises keep me focused in the moment and usually come with a little pearl of wisdom at the end of the day or at least a funny experience to recount.

I surround myself with people I love and realize that I am not responsible for their experiences. This has taken me my lifetime to bring into my reality. I try everyday to be radiating something that is good for the planet; regenerative and bright. Everyday can't be a winner.

I divide up my daily processes into three parts, everything, every process/experience on the planet can be divided into these three groups;
Custodial: That which promotes and uplifts life. Pertaining to higher than planetary forces.
Maintenance: That which maintains proper functioning of the body and the planet.
Expendable: That which is not of use to the human or planet.

It is understandable that our daily mental processes would be divided up amongst these three frequencies. When I go to bed at night, before I close my eyes, I try to find and identify those top processes that I had during the day. Sometimes it's difficult and seemingly takes forever. But it's worth it: even the smallest moment shouldn't be overlooked. A fantastic day is when I can keep at least two-thirds of my day in Custodial and Maintenance. It is not easy. Everyday is a struggle. But also a new chance at it.
***

I'd like to thank Professor Honeybottom for taking the time and energy to give us advice on how to cope with depression. I found her ideas both interesting and refreshing. I hope you did too. If you'd like to read more of her work, she has a graphic novel series on health and the body, called the Naked Truth.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

i used to do that same thing: lying on the floor in order to gain strength

Related Posts with Thumbnails